Last year after Nancy passed away, I decided I was going to take up running. Running? I absolutely hate to run. I was the kid in gym class that would intentionally walk every mile that the coach would make us run - thus my wonderful grade in PE. I even tried out for the track team in middle school - why, I have no idea! After my first real run practice I threw up all over the ground next to my dad's truck. That was the END of my running career. Until now...
Like I said - after Nancy passed I decided it was time to do SOMETHING that I had control over in my life and that was running. Charlie used to tease me while I was training for my first 5K - The Santa Dash - he stood at the door at my parents house and pretended to run right along with me while I was on the treadmill. What a goof he was! I loved it. When he passed away I stopped running altogether. I gave it all up and just stopped. In May, my running buddy and friend Lynette talked me into doing the Founders Day run in Union. What a joke that race was!!! We weren't ready for it and I ended up with a scar on my knee that will be with me for the rest of my life. After that we decided it was time we got serious and begin training! And we did!! We've been running ever since. We completed our first run together in August. It was the Cheapskate Run! Not really an "official" run, but it was all I needed to get me motivated to keep running.
My friend, Lynette, has been my support through all of this running business! She keeps me moving. She said it wouldn't be right if we didn't do the Santa Dash like we had planned last year - so we are!!! I'm glad I've made this change in my life - how refreshing, rewarding, and mind refreshing.

No comments:
Post a Comment